My World

About Me

My photo
Hi! I am Cherie. I am a mommy to irish twins (kiddos about a year apart). I am also a first grade teacher. :) Welcome to my controlled chaos!

Nathan's Story

Once upon a time there was a beautiful princess. She grew up, found her Prince and lived happily ever after. Wait, strike that. Once upon a time there was a girl who wanted someday to grow up, find her prince, and live happily ever after. Said girl realized that wasn't reality. Reality came in the form of one Mr. Nathanator. I met Nathan's dad online (go ahead, smirk). Long story short, SURPRISE! 2 Pink lines! Our thoughts: Ohhhhhh crap. This princess was quickly knocked off her white horse. It's ok, she still had her shoes. :) See, the princess had always wanted to be a mommy. Her white horse just got lost, that's all. And apparently the prince was attached to said white horse because as luck would have it, he got lost, too. Oh well. Like I said, she still had her shoes :) I had a very textbook pregnancy. It was actually an awesome experience, and I loved being pregnant. Here's me loving being pregnant:

 This picture is quite ironic.  It started to rain right after my awesome friend/photographer, Shay, took this picture.  Well, we had to reschedule the other half of my maternity shoot, so her words as she left were: "you stay in there, Nathan, because we aren't done yet".  I never got the second half of that shoot.  Nathan was born premature.  He was born 7 weeks early. 

School started on Thursday, August 5, 2010.  The first day of school is tough normally, let alone when you're 33 weeks pregnant.  I was exhausted at the end of the day.  I remember thinking that I can't make it to his due date (Sept. 20).  I guess he heard me, because the next morning I got up to get ready and I went to the bathroom.  I just. kept. peeing.  I thought I was done, so I got up to go get clothes and take a shower.  I didn't even make it half way to the closet and I had to run back to the bathroom.  Great, I thought, it's going to be one of "those" days.  So, I get in the shower, and I am STILL peeing!  Ok, now something weird is going on because I totally didn't have to go that bad.  And where is my bladder storing all of this?!  I start to panic.  I call my mom, and (this is the "you'll laugh at this later" moment)... I start hysterically crying, standing in the shower, saying "I can't stop peeing!" to my mom.  It's funny now.  Not so much then.  I called the Dr. at 6am.  Then I started cleaning the house.  No joke.  My mom said that I wasn't going to leave the hospital until I had him, which meant my parents were going to be at my apartment.  Ruh Roh Raggy.  So here I am cleaning the kitchen, and every 3 or so minutes I would run to the bathroom to "pee" again.  8am rolls around and I STILL haven't heard back from the Dr.  I called them and they said to go to the ER.  So I get in the car and wouldn't you know it, I'm out of gas.  I stopped at a gas station for gas, and was really hungry and thirsty so I headed in to get something.  Yes, I'm currently in labor, and by myself.  I got halfway to the store and felt the "pee" coming again, so I quickly waddled to the car and proceeded to the ER.  I got admitted to Triage and they did a fluid test, and yup.  Water was leaking.  They told me that I wasn't going to leave until he was born.  Mom was right.  Shhh.  Don't tell her, it'll go to her head.  I was so mad.  My cousins had planned my baby shower for the next day and now I don't get to go!  I was admitted, strapped to all of those monitors, and there I sat for 3 days.  Not in active labor, so I wasn't in pain.  Yay!

Nathan Christopher Lennex was born at 4:26pm on August 8, 2010, weighing 4lb 10oz 19in long..  The NICU team was there and waiting when he was born.  I felt like his birth was on a reality show or something.  He cried immediately then went silent and blue.  I felt like time stood still and everything went silent.  All I wanted to hear was any kind of sound from him.  Any.  The NICU team went to work, bagging him, etc.  Finally he started breathing again, and we got a very quick picture or two before they whisked him away to the NICU.  Here's his first picture:

Nathan had to stay in NICU for 2 weeks.  If you have ever had a baby in NICU, you'll understand that 2 weeks is 2 weeks longer than anyone would want, but in the grand scheme of things, it's not that long. 

 Here are a couple of pictures from his stay in NICU:

Nathan's story hardly ends here.  This is just his birth story.  Check the homepage blogs for Nathan updates, as his life has been anything but textbook since he entered the world.


  1. Even though I know most of Nate's story, I loved reading it! It is amazing to see how far he (and you) have come over the last year and some months. He is a handsome little man! You are so blessed to have him in your life even if the "prince" got lost on his "white horse". :)

  2. Thank you, Dana!! Guess what?! He has started clapping! He doesn't yet do it when we say "yay" but the fact that he opens his hands and puts them together is great! His daycare teacher has been playing patty cake with him. So now he does it!

  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

  4. I thought I was peeing myself when my water broke too lol :)